Spotlight Week – Cutlery-free Smoked Mackerel and Sweet Potato Fish Cakes
On day 4 of Spotlight Week, learn how to make and prepare smoked mackerel and sweet potato fish cakes, ready to be easily picked up and eaten by hand, without the need for cutlery.
For the fish cake:
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- 2 tsp zest of lemon
- 400 grams sweet potato (peeled and quartered) boiled and mashed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 160 grams smoked mackerel fillets (skinless, boneless)
For the coating:
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- In a bowl, mix together the potato, horseradish sauce, zest of lemon, paprika and chopped parsley and mackerel.
- Mould them into small, bite-size fish cakes.
- Roll the fish cakes in the flour (shaking off any excess)
- Dip into the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Gently grill or shallow fry the fish cakes for 5 – 6 minutes until crunchy and golden brown (ensure core temperature is 75c)
To serve, prepare your fish cakes by themselves as a delicious savoury snack, or serve with chunky chips, pea fritters and creme fraiche and horseradish sauce dip.
Click the link below to follow along and prepare your own…
Please note: This initiative is not a replacement to current daily seasonal menus but a possible alternative with the same nutritional value should a resident struggle at mealtimes.