Spotlight Week – Cutlery-free Fruit Pies
The final blog in Spotlight Week is how to turn your favourite fruit pies into cutlery-free delights, that can be easily enjoyed by hand.
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 100g berries
For the base:
- 85g butter
- 115g light brown sugar (optional or reduce to half)
- 1 egg
- 115g self-raising flour
For the topping:
- 50g butter
- 100g flour
- 50g sugar (optional or reduce to half)
Optional: Cinnamon or oats to add to the taste and texture of the crumble topping!
- Start by rolling out your pastry, cutting them to size and placing them in the tart tin.
- Slowly fill each case with the filling of your choice.
- Top pies generously with the crumble mix.
- In a preheated oven, bake for 25 minutes at 160 to 180 degrees, gas mark 4.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a simple dipping pot of custard or creme fraiche with honey.
Click the link below to follow Avery’s Head of Hospitality and Culinary, Simon Lawrence
Please note: This initiative is not a replacement to current daily seasonal menus but a possible alternative with the same nutritional value should a resident struggle at mealtimes.