Welcome Home Magazine Issue 9
Welcome to the Spring 2019 edition of Welcome Home, Avery Healthcare’s in-house magazine for all of our residents, staff, their families and friends and for everyone involved with our leading care homes and independent living residencies nationwide.
All of our homes work hard to celebrate the lives of our residents and to connect them with their past through Life Stories and our sector-leading ReConnect Programme. A great example of this is John Dunbabin’s story in this issue, about his life and experiences working for Aston Martin, the cars he was involved with and the people he met.
Sometimes though we are all surprised when a story comes to light without any such planning and investigation on the part of the staff. Nora and Eileen’s story on the following pages is just that. Imagine being parted from your best childhood friend as a teenager, spending a lifetime wondering how they are and what has happened to them, and believing that you would never, ever, see them again. And then they walk into the same care home, 75 years later!
It’s one of the most heart-warming events we’ve reported on, and quickly became of national interest with the BBC, ITV, local radio stations and both national and local newspapers all wanting to cover the story and speak with the ladies. It’s a story of hope, love, and friendship, and one we’re sure you’ll enjoy.
All our residents have a story and a life of experiences. If you have one, we’d love to hear it.
Welcome message by Mark Danis, Commercial Director
Click the links below to see the individual articles inside our Spring 2019 edition of Welcome Home:
- The Managing Director’s Award for Steve Tatler (Page 3)
- Home of the Quarter – Hawthorns Care Home, Aldridge (Page 4 – 5)
- Career Transition (Page 6)
- How We Connect with Facebook (Page 8)
- Flipping Great! (Page 8)
- * Volunteering at Avery (Page 9)
- * Á La Carte (Page 10 – 11)
- Going Dutch (Page 12)
- Your Views Matter (Page 11)
- Out & about with Sherrie, featuring: Sherrie gets Active at The Hawthorns Braintree, Back to the ’50s at Loxley Park, A Fabulous Flamenco at Derby Heights Open Day, We Polished Off the Coffee at Pemberley House and Sherrie and fizz with love at Acacia Mews (Page 14 – 15)
- * Memory Lane: John Dunbabin at Milton Court (Page 16)
- Our Amazing People – Linda Donnellan Beevers & Penny James (Page 17)
- * All Aboard! (Page 18 – 19)
- Stepping Up to the Challenge (Page 21)
- Pen Pal Programme at The Hawthorns (Page 22)
- * Friends Reunited at Crispin Court (Page 23)
- Care Quality Commission Round-Up: Silvermere Care Home are Outstanding in CQC Inspection, Everything’s Good at Hinckley House Care Home, Acer House Care Home serve up a great CQC result and Clare Court Care Home Sparkles in CQC Inspection (Back cover)
(Featured articles seen on our front cover are indicated with italics and a *)
Front cover: Carer Rajmina Shirin and resident Aubrey Anderson.
Photography by Alan Martin.
Welcome Home is your magazine. It’s a place to share your stories, your news and a place where together, we can share the success of what we fondly know as ‘The Avery Way’, so let’s get sharing! Let us know your thoughts by emailing us at email@example.com